The Lake County Community Foundation has served as a leader, convener, coordinator and funder for the community for nearly 20 years. Since our inception, we have invested over $8 million to support our nonprofit partners.
Leading Efforts Across the County
- For nearly a decade, we have been a proud partner of Live Well Lake County, a community collaboration seeking to improve the overall health and well-being for all who live, work, learn and play in Lake County. This year, we are leading efforts to support a countywide Community Health Assessment process.
- In the past year alone, we established a permanent Lake County Community Crisis Relief Fund to support emergency needs throughout Lake County; launched a Racial Equity Program; and are piloting a Small Business Growth Initiative program that prioritizes businesses owned by people of color, particularly women, queer and trans people of color.
Convening For Common Good
- Since the start of the pandemic, we have hosted monthly calls with a broad group of local and regional funders to inform them of community needs and coordinate local investment.
- We have administered a variety of community engagement programming including Poverty Awareness Day events, volunteer fairs, Racial Equity, Diversity and Inclusion learning series and large-scale regional education campaigns with partners like WTTW.
Coordinating Initiatives for Collective Impact
- In 2017, we launched a 3-year proactive grant making strategy to increase access to affordable, nutritious food in Lake County. Over 8 million pounds of fresh food were distributed to prioritized communities throughout the county through this initiative.
- Over the years, we have supported collaborative initiatives such as the Alliance for Human Services and Partnership for a Safer Lake County, two collective impact models that have resulted in invaluable cross-sector partnerships and streamlined our county’s health and human service sector.
Funding Sustainable Change and Managing Philanthropic Assets
- We have grown from managing one $500,000 operating fund established in 2003 to stewarding 32 component funds totaling over $18.5 million.
- In partnership with our asset management firm, William Blair, we provide balanced investment growth for donors’ funds to perpetually reinvest in our community while making a long-lasting investment in Lake County. Our investment pool prioritizes social responsibility in alignment with our mission.
- We have raised over $1.4 million and have distributed over $1.3 million to 29 frontline health and human service agencies serving our most vulnerable neighbors during the COVID-19 crisis.
Report to the Community
Annually, we share our story via a Report to the Community illustrating our accomplishments and growth for the year.
This is always a great opportunity for us to not only highlight our work, but also to show our gratitude for the incredible donors and our community that makes this work possible. Check out past reports below to see how we have grown through the years!
Coordinating Access to Affordable, Nutritious Food
This pilot marked the first time that LCCF had engaged in a multi-year, proactive grant making process. The program was designed to combine strategic community leadership with intentional organizational investment to build a framework to support systems change across Lake County.